Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nicaragua: Wait, What?

The more geographically astute among you might well note that Guatemala (wherein are Tikal, Semuc Champey and Cobán) is not next to Nicaragua.  What happened to the rest of Guatemala?  And what about El Salvador and/or Honduras?

So there was this German surfer chick..

We met in Guadalajara, Mexico, actually, way back in the beginning of my travels.  I was heading inland, though, and she toward the coast.


Ah, there she is, at the bull fight in Guadalajara.

Comparing our rough schedules and itineraries, though, it seemed plausible that we might be able to meet up later on, in Southern Mexico or possibly Guatemala.  Do some surfing.  Great.  We exchanged contact information and said "so long" rather than "good bye."  But truth be told, this is a remarkably common occurrence and I didn't think anything would come of it.

Fast forward 2 or 3 months, to Lanquín, Guatemala.  I was standing alongside the road, waiting for everyone to load up and head off to the caves, when what should I hear but an ecstatic (if oddly accented) "Ohmygod, BENJAMIN!"  Small world, right?

She was on her way out, having just done Semuc Champey the day before.  Bound for Nicaragua to go surfing.  And emphatic that I had to come too.  And really, who am I to deny fate?  It took maybe 10 seconds for her to convince me.  Maybe.  So after Semuc Champey (and, as it turned out, a couple day layover in Cobán), I was going to Nicaragua.

And that is what traveling is all about.

1 comment: